Friday, August 6, 2010

A catamaran in deep need of repair

A few years ago I acquired this little beauty - we will call her Mystic, cause someone else decided to call her that and wrote it on the side of her. Mystic is a Maricat 4.3 Catamaran in need of a serious clean and repair.
Mystic - My Catamaran in need of repair







So here starts the process. I hadn't had a huge amount of experience in sailing, and FAR less experience in fibreglass repair, so I spent hours trauling through google, looking for websites and forums on Maricat maintenance.  Unfortunately, there really weren't many. I did glean a lot of helpful advice though from the Maricat.net forum where the "Old Salt's" were all too willing to help out with tips, troubleshooting and advice.

My next post will contain some of the helpful cleaning advice I received from the gents at the Maricat.net forum.

BUILDING AND SAILING CATAMARANS ('FOYLES HANDBOOKS')

4 comments:

  1. i couldn't believe it when i saw your photo of old mystic, it bought back a lot of good memories. My father purchased it for me second hand when i was a young lad approx 28-30yrs ago and we both had many good times together sailing her, i regretfully swapped her for a tradesmans services around my fathers house when money was in short supply approx 13-15yrs ago, she was in a lot better condition back then so was a shock to see her in such poor condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stuart,
    Am I understanding correctly that you once owned this very boat? I would be VERY interested in talking to you further about her if I am understanding you correctly. If you are interested, there are a lot more photos of her here: http://www.mdastudios.com.au/maricat/mystic.html
    Please feel free to get in contact with me if you are happy to chat more about her. I am really glad to hear that seeing Mystic has bought back such good memories for you. I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.
    You will find my contact details on that website link above
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,
      Yes you are understanding correctly i did own this very boat, in fact i have a photo packed away somewhere of myself with her at the beach from one of my sailing days when i was a young bloke which i would be more than happy to show you (once i can find it). Your blog has given me so many great memories from happy times with my father and it would be great to talk to you personally and i will be in touch
      Regards
      Stuart

      Delete
    2. Hi Stuart,
      What a small world. I would love to see the photo, and chat with you one day. It would be fun to piece together her history and see what a life she has had.
      I look forward to hearing from you.
      Mark

      Delete